A sumptuous breakfast and a long, long blether with landlord Dugie at the Acorn Guest House made it hard to drag myself away from the dining room this morning. However, last night's heavy rain had ceased and the skies, whilst still overcast were looking more promising.
I made my way to the shadows of Inverness Castle where I chose to start the walk, weaving my way between the Half Marathon runners limbering up for their 13 mile slog later this morning. Reminding myself that I only had a 10 mile saunter ahead of me made it easier to get underway.
![]() |
| The start (my one anyway) |
A pleasant walk along the riverside past numerous grand houses, soon saw me on the outskirts of the city and heading for the countryside. I caught my first glimpse of the Caledonian Canal as I cut into Torbreck woods where the South Loch Ness Trail starts. I also caught my first sight of the mythical beast - albeit a wooden one, sponsored by Tesco (as everything in Inverness seems to be).
![]() |
| The offical start |
![]() |
| Surely not...... |
Conditions were fine, and even although there was plenty of mud underfoot, the going was good. Enough to put a spring in your step....
After about five miles of muddy forest paths, the vistas opened up and Loch Ness was revealed in front of me, although only the map told me that as the mist was keeping it well hidden. It was a further three miles on, and almost at my destination Dores (pronounced Doors) before I finally got a decent view.
![]() |
| What lurks beneath? |
Dores in most definitely a one horse town, with not much to it at all. The Pottery House however is a truly delightful B&B, and the village does have a very well known pub called The Dores Inn where I'll be treating myself to a pint tonight. Perhaps Mulder and Scully might be there too.....
![]() |
| The truth is out there. |
Slightly longer hike tomorrow, with a 14 miler to Foyers ahead of me. Forecast is snow!
Follow todays route by clicking here.





No comments:
Post a Comment